Friday, October 12, 2012

Day ThreeHundred-FortyNine


Not sure if any of my followers, regulars or drop-ins even noticed, but Day 349 was actually skipped last week when I was updating my 365.  It wasn't due to not having a shot that day or a slight overlook.  It was actually done on purpose!  I did take many pictures that evening but hadn't yet gotten to the post edit side of things.  (Today I did.)  The woman on the right is a dear college friend of mine that contacted me many weeks ago asking if I would be willing to volunteer my time to photograph a special event that she is involved in and whenever I am offered the chance to give back, it isn't even a question.  This group is known as Friends of St. Jude and is a group of young professionals work and raise money for the St. Jude cause and help fight against childhood cancer.  On this evening they were having a special benefit along with Texas Young Professionals called the Hope Benefit.  It was a night of networking, socializing, silent auction, drink, food and dancing - all for one reason - to raise money for a great cause.  I was honored to be asked to capture the evening but as I get before any shoot, big or small, a tad nervous (okay, this one, more than a tad).  I'm not necessarily used to having the task of walking up to strangers and asking if I can take their picture!  Furthermore, I knew lighting would be something to address, but overall -- I just didn't want to mess up!  (Was I really qualified for this sort of thing?  Are they sure they wanted MoeCakes?  Dear lord, don't let me accidentally erase the pics!!)  But as I recently heard an inspiring photographer, Kelle Hampton, recently say during the iheartfaces Photo Conference, when in doubt or uncomfortable, the best place to be is where you (as a photographer) are most comfortable, and that's "hiding" behind the camera.  So I did just that!  All in all, it was a great evening out, a great way to catch up with an old friend, and in more ways than one, a really great learning experience.  I really do feel blessed to have been part of the night and part of the ever-growing fight against childhood cancer.

And for more from my evening at the Hope Benefit...click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

365

A Photoblog by MoeCakes Photography that shares a single photo on a daily basis. Lasting a total of 365 days, it will not only create a daily (and collective) glimpse into my personal life, but challenge me as a photographer to utilize and develop my skills in new and unique ways.

About Me

My photo
Grad Student. Wife. Mom. An artist, yogi, photographer, graphic designer, former teacher and expat...photography has been part of my life since I can remember. I love the sound of a shutter clicking, travel, lotus flowers, inversions, backyards, an ice cold G&T, a great pair of shoes, and an inspiring read....just to name a few. I truly believe Ewan MacGregor could be my best friend and I was a dancer in my past life....or at least should have been. (And no, I can't dance.) LIFE IS GOOD.